brown sugar matcha latte
this matcha latte is drenched in brown sugar syrup! it's perfect for a day when you are wanting a sweeter drink!
brown sugar syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 3½ tsp boiling water
- 1 – 2 tsp brown sugar syrup
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup ice
make brown sugar syrup
- whisk brown sugar and water together in a saucepan.
- let it simmer for 5 – 8 mins on medium low heat. do not whisk, and occasionally lift the saucepan to swirl the mixture.
- once cool, pour into a squeeze bottle.
- whisk matcha powder with 1 tbsp water to make paste.
- whisk in an additional 2½ tbsp water. set aside.
- line the inside of the cup with the brown sugar syrup (i used 1 – 2 tsp).
- add milk, ice, & matcha.
- oxo squeeze bottles: i use these to line the inside of the cup with brown sugar syrup. they are super handy for more precision.
- matcha bowl: sugarhouse ceramics co. has my favorite matcha bowls (however, they always sell out fast when released). there are some on amazon that i like such as the textured glass one. this isn’t required (because i have definitely used regular bowls); however, if you make matcha often, a matcha bowl is a must as the spout is super helpful when pouring.
- matcha whisk: this is the one i frequently use. however, i also have this one in my kitchen too. this is a must when making matcha.
- sieve: this is also a must when making matcha. using this ensures all the clumps are removed from the matcha powder. this creates a smoother drink (have you ever had matcha drinks that still have clumps of matcha powder? i definitely have!).
- what are your favorite matcha powders? i love the ones from ippodo tea, matchabar, and tea people. they also must be ceremonial grade. i have tried culinary grade (great for baked goods), but it tastes horrible when used to make a drink like matcha latte.
did you make this recipe? i would love to see your creations! tag michelleqgbui on instagram and hashtag it #letsbake.