tea people recently gifted me their organic matcha powder, so i was excited to make a matcha latte with boba. this is one of my favorite drinks to get at boba guys (their sister company) when i am needing a little bit of caffeine mid-way in the day.
- 1 tsp tea people organic matcha powder
- 3½ tbsp water
- ⅓ cup boba
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¾ – 1 cup ice
- ½ – ¾ cup milk
- whisk matcha powder with 1 tbsp water to make paste.
- whisk in an additional 2½ tbsp water. set aside.
- fill saucepan with 3⅓ cups of water, and place on stovetop on high heat. once boiled, reduce heat to medium-low heat and add uncooked boba. mix occasionally for 2 – 3 mins.
- turn off and let boba rest for 2 -3 mins.
- add brown sugar & honey to a small bowl.
- use a sieve to strain boba into the same bowl.
- add boba, ice, milk, & matcha to a cup.
- saucepan: this is my favorite saucepan. i have had mine for years; it’s durable & versatile.
- matcha bowl: sugarhouse ceramics co. has my favorite matcha bowls (however, they always sell out fast when released). there are some on amazon that i like such as the textured glass one. this isn’t required (because i have definitely used regular bowls); however, if you make matcha often, a matcha bowl is a must as the spout is super helpful when pouring.
- matcha whisk: this is the one i frequently use. however, i also have this one in my kitchen too. this is a must when making matcha.
- sieve: this is also a must when making matcha. using this ensures all the clumps are removed from the matcha powder. this creates a smoother drink (have you ever had matcha drinks that still have clumps of matcha powder? i definitely have!). this is also used to remove water from boba.
- boba straw: these are one of my favorite boba straws.
- where can i get boba pearls? my favorite are from wu fu yuan (if you are near by a 99 ranch or asian grocery store, you will be able to find them there) and tea people.
did you make this recipe? i would love to see your creations! tag michelleqgbui on instagram and hashtag it #letsbake.