pandan coconut rice krispies
in 2015, i was strolling around half-priced books and happened to find this book called crazy rich asians. after recommending it to a friend, we subsequently decided to go to singapore to eat the amazing, diverse food that the country had to offer and also visit the infinity pool at marina bay sands. it was in singapore that my love for pandan grew, and that was all because of this one dessert – pandan chiffon cake. this cake is a light, sponge cake, infused with pandan extract. pandan extract is derived from a tropical plant (abundant throughout southeast asia). in the united states, we generally see it in the form of leaves (sometimes fresh, but most often frozen). pandan extract is generally described as a mild form of vanilla extract and complements well with coconut. butterfly superfoods also has created various extracts including pandan, and in this application, i have opted to use this instead of fresh pandan extract. while i attempted to use fresh pandan extract initially, i was finding that the water content was making the rice krispies too moist (losing its crunch). in doing so, these pandan coconut rice krispies are super easy to execute on, requiring no special equipment and taking 10 minutes to make.
- 1½ tbsp (22 g) butter
- 1½ cups (71 g) marshmallow
- ¼ tsp pandan extract
- 2½ cups (63 g) rice krispies cereal
- ¼ cup (15 g) shredded coconut
prepare the rice krispies
- measure rice krispies cereal into a medium bowl.
- measure marshmallows and add into a large bowl.
- measure shredded coconut and add into a small bowl.
- cut the butter into 1 inch cubes.
make the rice krispies
- add the butter into the marshmallow bowl.
- microwave for 30 seconds and mix with spatula.
- microwave for another 30 seconds.
- add pandan extract to the marshmallow mixture and mix with spatula until fully incorporated.
- mix rice krispies cereal and shredded coconut into the marshmallow bowl.
- transfer mixture to baking dish and use a spatula to press into the dish.
- let rice krispies cool for at least 20 minutes, and then slice into rectangles.
- let's eat! 🙂
store in the freezer a plastic or reusable bag.
- kitchen scale: i am a huge proponent of kitchen scales! mine is my best friend in baking. while rice krispies are generally forgiving and you could get away with using measuring cups, i recommend kitchen scales for accuracy and also less to clean!
- spatula: this will help you mix the ingredients for the rice krispies together. i particularly love the durable oxo ones!
- baking dish: this 7.5″ x 6″ dish is my favorite to use when making rice krispies; however, any sort of baking pan or dish will work.
- where can i get butterfly superfoods pandan extract? generally, you can find them at the asian grocery stores. if you are in the bay area in california, i have found them at these grocery stores: lion supermarket (all locations), marina supermarket, and richmond new may wah supermarket. if not, you can get it on amazon. know that a little bottle goes a long way!
- i don’t have a microwave. how can i melt the butter and marshmallows? most recipes i have seen usually melt the butter and marshmallows over a stove top. because i am super lazy with doing more dishes, i decided to use a microwave. either method works. if you use the stove top, i melt the butter on medium low for 1 – 2 minutes, mix in the marshmallows, and then let them melt for an additional 1 – 2 minutes. give it a final mix to fully incorporate the butter and marshmallows.
did you make this recipe? i would love to see your creations! tag michelleqgbui on instagram and hashtag it #letsbake.